Thursday, October 18, 2012

KCWC: Day 2

Kids Clothing Week Challenge!

Day 2: A's Christmas dress

This fabric is so hard to photograph.  Walking five feet to get the real camera is a little too much to ask when I'm spending all day sewing & taking care of both kids.  So, a cell phone picture will just have to do.  It's actually gold lamae, & very pretty in person.  Don't let the crazy orangey-brown pictures fool you.

The black is silk.  Nothing fancy color wise.  I didn't want it to compete with the gold.  But, I love silk.  If I could wear it all day, every day; I would.  There's just something so luxurious about silk.  It makes you feel pretty.


I followed this tutorial while making the dress.  I'd never sewn with either of these fabrics, or sewn a fully lined dress before.  I'm pretty proud of the way it turned out.  I sort of expected it to be an epic fail.  But, the tutorial was so simple, & it went very smoothly.

I've also never sewn ruffles before.  This dress was just full of firsts.  Again, so simple.


I had planned on putting in an exposed zipper.  But by the time I got to that part, A was fussy, & I just didn't feel like it.


I did however feel like digging through my collection of vintage buttons to find the perfect one.  The little slit on the back looks so sweet when it's on.


A was NOT having it.  She was mad, & just wanted to wear her rain boots & be left alone.  The terrible twos have hit our house at full force.




Hopefully she'll be a little happier on our Christmas cards.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment